Why Do So Many Misspell “Michael Jackson”?
It’s not so much that people misspell “Jackson”, it’s that people misspell “Michael”. I would get into the whole Latin language “AE” thing, but I think I explain enough below.
Here are my top three reasons why:
- It’s because of the “Qwerty”: That’s right. The damn keyboard has that “a” key way over near the “q” and “z”. Unless you type like a professional, my theory is that the brain just doesn’t make the connection to hit the “a” key before the “e”, since one probably uses the “e” more often.
- The word “heal”: We probably type the word “heal” more that we type the word “hael”. Now, spelling “M-I-C-H E-A-L” is simply some innocent slip of spelling a word that you prone to spell correctly, thus allowing for the misspelling of “M-I-C-H-A-E-L”
- We spell more “ea” words than “ae”: Depending on who you are, you probably spend more time typing words that have the “ea”, leading you to subconsciously hit the “e” key before the “a”.
Other words that have “ea” and not “ae” that you probably type alot are:
- Her (Even though it’s not an “ea” word, we spell it alot)
- Healthy (derived from “heal”)
And oddly enough…
- Heaven (Where Michael is…)
- Heath Ledger (Who also died from possible similar drug issues)
- Heart ( Michael’s stopped beating)
From the source below:
Given these results, this means that more people on Twitter are misspelling his name than those who are spelling it correctly.Given these results, this means that more people on Twitter are misspelling his name than those who are spelling it correctly. Does anyone know how to crowds source spell checker?
Actually, note to Bloggasm: My WordPress Spellcheck says that M-I-C-H-A-E-L is a misspelled word…hummm???? How about them apples?